Doerre History
Carl and Edward Doerre immigrated to Klein in the 1870's from Saxony, Germany. Though Carl never married, Edward married Mary Klein Klenk on April 25, 1878.

Mary, born in 1858, was the oldest child of Adam and Friederika Klein, after whom the Klein community and Klein I.S.D. is named. In 1874, when not yet sixteen, she had married Gottlieb Klenk. The next year, Gottlieb was kicked from a horse and died. Before she married Edward Doerre, Mary applied for land under the Homestead Act of 1870, and her 160 acres became known as the "Mary Klink Survey".

Mary and Edward Doerre had four children, Clara, Lydia, Hugo, and Herbert. The Doerres farmed and built a large two-story house on their property, which had been enlarged by purchasing additional land from Mary's father, Adam Klein. Mary Doerre was a kindly, Christian woman who became a skilled midwife. After her own children were older, when a baby was due in a family, Mary would walk to the home of the family and stay there until the baby came. She never accepted payment of this work, but considered it part of her Christian service.

Doerre History continued
When Herbert Doerre married Louise Glameyer in 1917, he bought his parents' home and 160 acres of land. When the people on the Klein community wanted to build a public grammar school and high school, the Doerre land was considered a central location, and Herbert agreed to sell ten acres with the stipulation in the deed that the land would always be used of educational purposes.

This land is where the Klein administration building is now located. Behind the administration building is the 1938 Klein High and Elementary Schools. Herbert helped build the school and became a full time employee. His duties were general maintenance, full time bus driver, and custodian. He began his day at six in the morning building fires in the stoves in each classroom; at seven he began a double bus run. Before the afternoon bus run, he did any needed maintenance work. After the afternoon bus run, Herbert cleaned the classrooms. In 1938, Herbert's family built and operated a boarding house for teachers and a cafeteria for the school children, which they continued to operate until the late 1940's.